Looking for a healthier alternative to the traditional Potato Salad? Here is a delicious and nutritious option for one of summer’s favourite side dishes!
• 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
• 5 hard-cooked eggs
• 3/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise (substitution can be made by taking ¼ of it as sour cream)
• 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 large sweet onion, chopped
• 2 celery ribs, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped green onions
• 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
• 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool for 30 minutes.
2. Slice eggs in half (discard yolks or save for another use). Cut the whites into 1/2-in. pieces.
3. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, egg whites, onion, celery, green onions, red pepper and parsley; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 110 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 305 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Stay tuned for more healthy alternatives each week!
Tracey Ferris – Kalev Fitness Solution